Your campus may provide a variety of support services for deaf and hard-of-hearing students on campus, including:
- Sign language interpreters.
- Notetakers, so that deaf students may watch the interpreter or captioning without interruption.
- Captionists who work with live captioning systems.
- Tutors who use sign language.
- Environmental classroom systems – for example, loop systems – that require that you wear a microphone to enhance sound quality for students who use hearing aids.
If it is your first time working with deaf or hard-of-hearing students and support providers, you may want to become familiar with the campus office(s) that supervise and arrange these support services so that you know where to go in case of questions or concerns that occur during the course of the semester.